Wednesday, November 28, 2012

THE NATURAL FATHER

I know I’ll never be a “dad”
But to the three who never asked to be
A part of this strange world of ours,
Their “natural father” I am, you see.

Long ago, I tossed the chance
To be their “dad” through life’s tough dance,
And yet. . .perchance, I still can be
Something in the lives of three
Offspring whom I find I need
More than likely they need me.

Tis not to ponder some dark past;
Try not to wonder why at last;
I only know in lives of three
They hold the door, as well, the key.

I know I’ll never be their “dad;”
They’ve got that one and long they’ve had.
But I can follow God’s intent
That I believe He shows me now;
And proud I stand to call them mine
And know with them I share bloodline.
And with their forgiveness and consent,
Our futures hold long years well spent.

Perhaps it is “too little too late”
But if reaching out will open some gate. . .
I’ll not hesitate.

                                    --Monty Wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment